Protect Your Home After Storms
Preparation is the Key. There is no homeowner that can be too prepared, especially those who purchase new homes. It is so important to pay attention to new homes these days, because even the slightest problems give water access to unprotected materials used during construction.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia can get confused for just a carpet cleaning service, but we are so much more. We offer a variety of services to help dry your entire home, including crawl spaces and other hard to reach areas.
Depending on the foundation of your home, more than likely when you open your crawl space access, you'll find a dirt floor underneath. You may also find puddles of standing water, bugs, rodents, and little to no ventilation.
At SERVPRO, we can provide you with crawl space encapsulation services. Our professional services involve the use of recent technology to separate the crawl space from the ground using a high-quality vapor barrier; this creates an additional layer that protects your home from outdoor elements.
Our highly trained technicians perform a full inspection to determine the state of your crawl space before doing anything else. This involves locating and repairing any possible water problems that exist, along with cleaning, mold, and pest remediation services before encapsulating, to help avoid leaving vermin or fungi behind that can destroy the seal around the barrier we create.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia can fully encapsulate your crawl space and install high-quality dehumidifiers to help regulate the temperature that exists, this often reduces foundation cracks, interior drywall cracks, developing uneven floors and produces great results your family can enjoy.
Contact SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia for additional information or to obtain the services you need today.
Understanding the Fire Damage Restoration Details
SERVPRO has not only the professional products but also the eye for detail to restore your fire damage content.
Smoke and soot affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia understands your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings are the very things that make a house a home.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals specialize in restoring contents damaged by water, fire, or mold. Their expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. They pretest your belongings to determine what items they can restore to pre-fire condition.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning due to fire damage, SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out has several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, they will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Fire-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by fire. Smoke residues can contain acids that corrode metal surfaces. If the residues are not removed, corrosion causes electronic failure in the device.
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician
When you're valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water or fire, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the fire damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-fire damage condition, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage. Learn more about our document restoration services.
Call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia for your fire remediation process! (601) 823-1100
Consequences to DIY Water Cleanup
After a water emergency that floods a home or business, the last thing that most people want to deal with is a bill for cleaning up the damage. This is what leads many homeowners to attempt water extraction on their own instead of calling a professional.
If you're in need of water removal in the Brookhaven, McComb or Columbia area, you may be tempted to save money by trying to get rid of the excess water on your own. However, going this route typically has more consequences than benefits and will result in greater losses of time, money, and your possessions in the long run.
Here's why calling SERVPRO for professional water removal is a smart move:
Professional Do It the Best.
While some homeowners resort to opening windows and doors, turning on ceiling fans, and blotting towels around the house, SERVPRO has powerful equipment that ensures efficient and thorough water removal. We're also often able to restore documents, books, furnishings, and electronic devices affected by water damage, plus we'll get your home's humidity back to an appropriate level.
Many Water Emergencies are Hazardous.
If your house has been flooded with gray or black water, such as that from a natural disaster, backed up sewer line, or a leaky toilet, an expert's attention is the best. These types of water are risky for untrained persons to handle because it involves disease causing waste and debris. This is the type of material that can't simply be put out with the week's garbage and needs proper and safe disposal. We're knowledgeable about how to get rid of contaminated waste during water extraction, so there are no lingering health risks to your family or pets.
Did You Even Consider Mold or Mildew.
One reason that so many homeowners who attempt DIY water removal eventually end up calling a pro is unseen damage caused by mold and mildew. While your flooring and possessions may look and feel dry, without proper water extraction and controlling humidity, mold and mildew will thrive, cause foul odors, and ruin your home's structure along with your possessions and furniture. SERVPRO technicians are trained at protecting against the growth of mold and mildew and have effective strategies to combat it.
At SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, we know how important it is to get your home back in order as quickly as possible. We'll help you mitigate the costs of any water emergency by restoring your possessions and preventing future damage to your home. For more information about our water removal services or to receive a quote, call us at (601) 823-1100.
Spring Storm Tips
April showers may bring May showers, but SERVPRO wants to be sure you have the tips to be prepared for the spring storms ahead.
April Showers Bring May Flowers
This is true, but unfortunately showers can also bring severe weather threats such as hail, high winds, tornadoes and lightning. According to the National Weather Service, thunderstorms cause more than $1 billion in property damage each year. Without proper home preparation and maintenance upkeep, the damage could be very costly if severe weather came through. In Mississippi, the weather changes one day to the next. Below are some helpful tips to prevent spring storms from damaging your home.
Spring Storm Tips:
1. Clean the gutters. Cleaning out any leaves or debris that may have accumulated in the gutters will help prevent water damage. Check to make sure the downspout directs water away from the foundation, and add extensions if necessary to keep the water away from your house. It’s also a good plan to install gutter guards. These will protect your gutters from clogging and ensure that water does not accumulate on the roof.
2. Maintain roof maintenance. Replace roof shingles that are cracked or loose. This will help prevent damage from roof leaks.
3. Check the caulking. It is important to check caulking for decay around doors, windows, corner boards, and joints, and re-caulk where needed. Be sure the seals are tight to improve insulation and prevent water damage.
4. Look around the yard. Trim your trees and remove dead or loose branches to prevent them from becoming projectiles during a storm.
5. Prepare your patio before a storm. When a storm is approaching, be sure to move all patio furniture, trash cans and any other loose outside items to your shed or garage – these could become flying projectiles.
Spring Cleaning Tips 2020
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb and Columbia spring cleans all year long!
Every house hold knows what time of the year it is.
Yes, Spring Cleaning!
The day has arrived where it feels nice outside and you give your home or business that deep cleaning it's been needing all year. But here at SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, we want you to keep your home or business in good condition all year long!
Helpful Spring-Cleaning Tips
- Divide your work space into zones:
Determine how you want and need to use the space and set up zones for your daily functions. You may require a work space for your computer, a library area for your research, a storage area for supplies and a filing area for your archives. This will provide a foundation for a more efficient use of space.
- Keep only what you need at arm's length: Boxes of pens, stacks of papers and old coffee cups need to go. Rid your desk of visual clutter by paring down the items on top to the essentials only. Supplies, paperwork and personal items should be kept in the zones you've establishes for them.
- Create a daily paper system:
Consider creating hanging files or baskets labeled "to read," "to do," and "to file." Establish set days for each, so that you don't get behind or feel the overwhelming need to do everything at once.
- Sort your catch-all drawer:
Use drawer dividers to give everything a place, like compartments for paperclips and rubber bands. Go through the drawer every six weeks and clear out anything that is out of place or isn't being used.
- Eliminate digital clutter:
Digital clutter can be just as stressful as physical clutter. Organize digital files and your email inbox just as you would paper files- with a system of logical and clearly labeled folders. Also, keep the icons on your desktop to a bare minimum, and trade in sticky notes on your monitor for calendar reminders.
- Disinfect regularly:
Prevent the buildup of dust, dirt, food stains and fingerprints. Wipe down your desk, phone, keyboard and monitor once a week with disinfecting wipes
Tell us how these helpful tips work out for you by sending us a message on Facebook!
Can't do it all yourself? We don't expect you to. Call (601) 823-1100 and schedule a time for us to give your home or business a professional cleaning.
Keeping Your Home Safe
Your home should be your place of rest. But when water begins leaking - even small leaks in areas you can't see - your home could quickly become a source of stress. The possibility of harmful mold, rot and unseen damage may affect the value of your home and the health of loved ones.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia professionals understand how disruptive water damages can be for your entire family and will help ensure the water is identified, regardless of where it hides. That is why we offer 24-hour emergency response by trained, uniformed restoration professionals. With top-of-the line equipment and time-tested cleanup and restoration techniques, SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia has the expertise to help make your house feel like home again.
After all, when it comes to your home and your family, even small disasters can feel like huge problems. So if a water damage occurs in your home, just call us 601-823-1100. We'll be there to help!
We care about you! SERVPRO always wants to give you the most beneficial tips.
INDOOR WATERING TIPS:
Don’t forget to check your faucets for leaks! Leaks waste water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Everyday Water Use
- Do not let the faucet run while brushing your teeth. Just wet your toothbrush and fill a small glass with water for rinsing out your mouth.
- Limit showers to no longer than 5-minutes.
- Select the appropriate water level for the size of your load of laundry or dishes.
- Rotate plants toward the light whenever you water them to keep them growing straight.
- Water hanging plants with ice cubes to keep water from spilling out of the bottom.
- Use pots made from non-porous material such as plastic to help plants retain moisture longer
OUTDOOR WATERING TIPS:
Lawn care When the weather is hot, outdoor water usage increases significantly. The good news is that most lawns can thrive with less water than you think.
When to Water
- To determine if your grass needs watering, step on it. If it springs back up, it doesn’t need watering. If the blades of the grass lie flat, it’s time to water.
- Turn the sprinklers on at a low speed to avoid wasteful run-off. Remember, over-watering promotes shallow root growth, making your lawn less hardy.
- Water early in the morning or in the evening after the sun has set to help prevent losing water to evaporation. As much as 30% of water can be lost to evaporation.
- If using automatic sprinklers, install a rain sensor to avoid watering on rainy days.
How to Water
- Water slowly and thoroughly during cool, windless hours, and as infrequently as possible. Never water to the point of run-off.
- If necessary, water in several short sessions rather than one long one. Three ten-minute sessions spaced 30 minutes apart will allow your lawn to better absorb moisture.
- Let grass grow taller in hot weather. Most southern lawns will thrive if they receive one inch of water per week during the summer.
For more information check out www.bwwb.org
Signs of Sewer Line Issues in Your Business
Sewage Damage Tips- Know the signs!
Commercial Property Management
While a blocked sewer drain is relatively common in commercial properties, legitimate concerns over sewer line functionality may be few and far between. However, when major sewer line issues occur, it is essential to remedy the problems quickly to avoid potential backups and structural damage. Be aware of these four signs, which may indicate sewer line problems.
While drain or toilet overflow are frequent problems in commercial properties, you should pay attention to odors surrounding these problems. For instance, if after clearing a clog you smell sewer gas, you may want to call a plumber for an inspection, as strong sewer smells can be an indicator of issues further in the line.
2. Clogged Drains
A blocked sewer will not only cause unpleasant odors to occur in your building, but the blocked pipe can also cause frequent clogging of your drains and toilets. This problem may also cause sewer backups into your facility.
3. Indentations in Landscaping
Also, while you may not have any clogging issues, it is still possible that your sewer lines have failed. Pipe breaks may cause indentations in your landscaping, like divots in the lawn. If the break is severe enough, it is possible that sewage is leaking into the grounds of your property. Eventually, this can also lead to a sewage backup in your building.
4. Deformations in Landscaping
In addition to indentations in the lawn, you may notice perpetual puddling in certain areas. You may also see that areas of your parking lot have sunken or cracked along with sidewalks. Depending on how close the break is to your building, you may even notice cracks in the foundation. These issues often require the expertise of a disaster restoration specialist, like SERVPRO, to resolve, which depending on your insurance policy may be covered.
A blocked sewer line can wreak havoc on a business and may even lead to significant business interruption. You should be aware of the warning signs of such a problem so that you can resolve the issue as early as possible.
Unexpected Water Damage
Your trusted water restoration company is ready- 24/7/365!
What do water damages include?
- Plumbing issues
- Bursting/leaking pipes
- Malfunctioning appliances
- Weather-related water damage
Water enters unprotected areas quite often and need professional assistance to help them recover fast.
It may be comforting to know that someone trustworthy is available to provide you with the services you need to keep your business running.
We respond to your service request and provide you with rapid response times, and a unique solution to your problem. With several years of experience in the restoration industry and quality equipment at our disposal, we have the ability to handle water damage incidents affecting a single unit, or your entire building.
The information you provide during your initial call, helps us determine the amount of equipment and personnel needed to address your situation properly. So that once we arrive on your property, we can address any possible hazards and fully inspect the affected area for damages, getting to work immediately to solve your problem.
We have access to both hand-held and truck mounted water extraction equipment, each with three main elements, a heater, pump, and vacuum system. Portable extractors hold anywhere from five to twelve gallons of water, while the truck mounted version handles up to 100 gallons of water or more, making it easy to remove excess water from various types of flooring, including carpeting and other upholstery items, such as rugs, and curtains.
Our SERVPRO technicians use a variety of equipment to locate hidden moisture pockets, in walls, attics, and crawl spaces; water cannot hide from a quality infrared moisture detection device. Making it possible for us to dry hard to read, or hidden areas throughout your building and prevent secondary water damage from developing.
SERVPRO technicians place the proper amount of air moving equipment and dehumidifiers into the affected area. We also use detection devices to check the vicinity for moisture and monitor relative humidity to ensure a proper drying environment exists to complete the water damage restoration and limit any interruptions to your businesses daily operations.
Flash Flooding Tips 2020
We try to help our community prevent damages. But when disasters strike, we are here to help restore things back to pre-damage conditions!
FLASH FLOODING CAN HAPPEN WITHIN A FEW HOURS OR EVEN MINUTES
So far this year we have an an abundant amount of rain and lack of sunshine to dry everything up. Jackson, Ms is currently having flooding issues with the rising of Pearl River from all the rain, damaging homes and businesses that are in low-lying areas. Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, Ms can have the same flooding issues in low-lying areas, whether you're close to a water source or not. Don't wait until it's raining and it doesn't stop and waters start to rise.
BEFORE THE FLOOD:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basement with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
DURING THE FLOOD:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances!
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water- even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
AFTER THE FLOOD:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters- water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
Should your home or business be affected by the recent significant rain fall or flooding....Call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia. We are always here to help!