Water Quality Month
Should I Have My Water Tested?
The answer to this question depends on several factors. It concerns your health and the health of your family, so you need to know some basic facts. In addition to illness, a variety of less serious problems such as taste, color, odor and staining of clothes or fixtures are signs of possible water quality problems. Other things to think about include the nearness of your water well to septic systems and the composition of your home’s plumbing materials. This fact sheet provides information to help you decide whether or not to have your water tested, and if so, suggested tests for your situation.
Public Water Systems
When you turn on the tap, where does the water come from? If you pay a water bill, you are purchasing water from a public water system, where your water is monitored, tested and the results reported to the federal, state or tribal drinking water agencies responsible for making sure it meets the National Primary Drinking Water Standards. Your water company must notify you when contaminants are in the water they provide that may cause illness or other problems. Most people in the United States receive water from a community water system that provides its customers with an annual water quality report, also known as a Consumer Confidence Report. Normally, you will receive it with your water bill once a year in July. The report contains information on contaminants found, possible health effects, and the water’s source. If you do not receive a report, contact your water company for this information.
Private Water Supplies
If your drinking water does not come from a public water system, or you get your drinking water from a household well, you alone are responsible for assuring that it is safe. For this reason, routine testing for a few of the most common contaminants is highly recommended. Even if you currently have a safe, pure water supply, regular testing can be valuable because it establishes a record of water quality. This record is helpful in solving any future problems and in obtaining compensation if someone damages your water supply.
Here at SERVPRO, we want our customers to be aware of important matters like this one. Water plays a big factor in our lives, whether it be a water damage or for health reasons. SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia wants what's best for our customers.
During this time of year in Mississippi we not only experience a lot of heat but also rain, which includes thunderstorms. It’s important to be prepared and have a plan in place. Talk with your family and create an emergency plan for thunderstorms, floods, and hurricanes. It would be beneficiary to think about an emergency shelter and evacuation plan. Below, we have a few suggestions to make sure you and your family are ready for whatever happens.
Protect Your Electronics
Your electronics can get fried if they are not properly protected. Plug electronics into a surge protector to avoid damage during a storm.
Prepare for Power Outages
Have battery-operated flashlights and lanterns in easy to get to places. Check on these items from time to time to make sure the batteries still work, replace them if necessary. Also, think about keeping the refrigerator and freezer doors shut to keep food from spoiling. If these food items rise above 40 degrees for 2 hours or more, they should be disregarded. Call your local power company to inform them of the outage and to get information regarding when the power should be restored.
Stay Away from Power Lines
Do not go near power lines should they fall to the ground, they can be very hazardous. Call 911 if you see downed power lines.
Don't Stay Outside
If you hear thunder, it is likely that lightning is also occurring. Lightning can be dangerous, therefore, make sure to go inside when thunder occurs.
There are many different natural elements which can occur and be harmful when outside during a disaster. Therefore, during a storm, it is important to seek shelter and be safe. If you're inside, a good place to be is at the lowest level of your home. If you have a basement or storm cellar you can hang out in until the storm passes.
Handy Emergency Kit
Consider putting together a kit of things you may want to have on hand during a storm. Items you may want to include would be water, non-perishable food, flashlights, blankets extra batteries, a radio, and a first aid kit. If you have an emergency does strike your home during a thunderstorm, SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia is ready to help get your life back to normal.
How Did We Do?
You're opinion is valuable to us!
Tell Us Why Choose SERVPRO
Did a disaster occur and SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia truly make it "Like it never even happened."
Were we nice on the phone and fulfilled our promises we made?
Or are there some concerns you would like us to know about, so we can take care of them?
Your Feedback is Valuable to Us
Leaving us a you're feedback on any of our three websites is one of the best communications we have with our customers. It helps us determine what steps we need to make to improve our services. Not only does it help us better our work, but it also gives us encouragement and motivation for the next jobs. We love nothing more than our happy customers.
We Want Our Customers' Voice
We highly enjoy receiving your feedback and hearing about your experience because of three honest reasons:
1.) We can address each customer based on their review/rating, allowing effective communication where we can resolve any misunderstandings. Don't be left in the dark! Speak out!
2.) If we made you truly satisfied, your voice carries. Recommend us to your friends!
3.) This is a tool that always helps us. Positive feedback helps our technicians know they are doing something right. SERVPRO is so incredibly grateful for each positive voice. We truly love reading the uplifting things you have to say about SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia. Thank you.
Reviews & Ratings are your way of speaking out. So PLEASE, if you've used our services before, don't hesitate to give us you're feedback on the links below. Thank you.
Summertime Fire Pit Safety Tips
Here in Brookhaven, MS its a tradition to enjoy the cooler nights outside around a homemade fire pit! Many of us are looking forward to spending time gathering around them to enjoy time with family and friends. Before you start dreaming of moonlit nights and toasted marshmallows, take a moment to check out some of these tips from Allstate to remember.
Backyard Fire Pit Safety Tips:
- Whether you prefer a built-in or portable fire pit, choose one that is not too large for the area. The pit should be a minimum of 10 feet away from any structures or combustible materials as well as away from trees, fences, sheds, power lines, and telephone wires.
- Make sure that the seating area is large enough and properly placed for comfort and ventilation.
- Check wind direction before lighting a fire.
- Don’t use flammable fluids (gasoline, lighter fluid, etc.) to light or relight fires.
- To start the fire, use a lighter to ignite crumpled pieces of paper covered with small sticks. Then, add larger sticks and a log or two to keep it burning.
- Burn only dry material. Damp material will create excess smoke.
- Don’t wear flammable clothing (like nylon) or any loose-fitting clothing.
- Never leave the fire unattended, and keep pets and children far away from the fire as they will be attracted to it.
- Keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water nearby.
- As the fire dies down, use a shovel and spread out the ashes to allow them to cool down. Then slowly pour water over those ashes and watch them closely to be sure that no burning embers remain or reignite. Put the cooled ashes in a specially designated ash storage metal can.
Severe Storm Facts and Prep
Don't Let Storms Blindside You
Severe weather can be quite scary for us because it is out of our control and can happen at any time, and anywhere. Although we cannot control the weather, we can indeed control how to prepare for it.
Get the Statistics
Americans cope with an average of the following intense storms:
- 10,000 severe thunderstorms
- 5,000 floods or flash floods
- 1,000 tornadoes
- 2 land falling, deadly hurricanes
Approximately 98 percent of all presidential declared disasters are weather-related, leading to around 500 deaths per year and nearly $15 billion in damage. That can be pretty alarming. So now knowing this information, what should you do? Become weather-ready!
Being aware is the most important step in becoming weather-ready. What do we mean? Understand the type of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work, and how the weather could impact you, your business and your family. Check the weather forecast regularly, obtain a NOAA Weather Radio, and learn about Wireless Emergency Alerts. Severe weather comes in many forms and your shelter plan should include all types of local hazards.
Take the Next Step- Action!
- Create a system that monitors weather conditions locally, especially during hurricane season
- Have more than one way to receive severe weather warnings and forecasts
- Create a communication plan for your home or business
- Establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center
- Put together or purchase an emergency kit
- Keep important papers and valuables in a safe place
Don't Be Silent
Once you have taken action to prepare for severe weather, share your story with co-workers and family and friends on Facebook or Twitter. Your preparedness story will inspire others to do the same.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia (601)823-1100
When Fire Attacks Your Business
SERVPRO is here to help your business get back on track!
At SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, we take fire damages seriously. Fire losses account for approximately $2.3 billion in commercial and industrial direct property loss each year. At times you can have large-loss fires that affect buildings such as apartments, facilities, and places people work. These types of losses affect multiple lives. It can take a lot of effort on everyone's part to provide support.
Property Owner Tips
- Make sure everyone is safe and away from the property. Safety is the number one concern.
- Get the community involved in helping families or workers that may be affected
- Bring your adjuster in early to help manage things such as photos, mitigation, documenting anything they need to.
- Analyze your policy, including all clauses, additions, extensions, and exclusions.
- Bring in experts to check out the damages
- Communication is key. Everyone should stay in good contact to get the job done as smoothly as possible.
- Know that the process can be long and require a lot of patience.
We hope you never need these expert services but if you do, call us at (601) 823-1100 or send us a message through Facebook.
What To Do Until Help Arrives
Stay calm - Stay patient!
Water Damage To-Do's Until We Arrive
If you have a water damage from a clean source such as water supply lines, sink overflows, tub overflows, or appliance malfunctions, here are some things to do before SERVPRO arrives:
Shut off the source of the water.
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if the access panel is safe from electrical shock.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
Why Call a Professional?
Hey Do-It-Yourselfer, Trust the Professionals!
Don’t Do It Yourself
We understand you want to save money, but taking the job upon yourself can cause more damage than it is worth. Don't be a “do-it-yourselfer”.
We had someone call about an extensive water leak in the roof. After they called around different businesses, they then decided to become a “do-it-yourselfer”. After a few hours on "Google" and "YouTube” they thought the job seemed simple enough. They then went to the expense to rent a carpet cleaner and buy a small dehumidifier. Thinking they fixed the problem themselves, they began to smell a musty odor. So they call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia to come deodorize the home, however our technicians wanted to find the location of the smell.
After pulling the baseboards and the corners of the carpet up, we noticed immediately the water and the mold starting. After the initial inspection was done we provided them with a full estimate to fix the damages. They were shocked at how much lower our estimate was from all the others they had received. Within hours we began our work, returning this family’s home to "like new" condition in only two weeks!
Call us straight away to save yourself the time and money! (601) 823-1100
Summer Time Business Upkeep
Let us help you keep your business looking the way it's supposed to!
Keep your business clean! Yes we've all done our spring cleaning, but what about summer time upkeep? Keeping your work environment pleasant and healthy during the summer is a big job. The heat and dust, insects, and workers out on vacation all can cause your workplace to look a bit less professional than it usually does. Here are some tips for you to use to keep your place of business looking great during the summer months:
- Install insect traps in places where they hide. Fly strips are a good idea to use near entrances.
- Dust surfaces daily.
- Clean and disinfect all bathrooms, to include: mirror, countertop, sinks, and both the inside AND outside of toilets.
- Clean and disinfect doors, door handles, and light switches.
- Sweep and mop floors, using a disinfectant liquid. Make sure the mop head gets cleaned and/or replaced regularly.
- Clean cigarette trash from provided receptacles.
- Clean and polish drinking fountain, if you have one.
- Clean and disinfect kitchen area, to include sinks and countertops.
- Clean all glass, especially entrance doors.
- Wipe down and disinfect work desks and machinery such as phones, keyboards, printers, and filing cabinets.
- Sweep and vacuum all offices.
- Dust accessible window sills and baseboards.
- Dust artwork, framed certifications, and news articles, etc.
- Clean out the refrigerator and wash/disinfect microwave.
- Sweep exterior entrances, both front, and back.
- Make sure break areas are clean and presentable.
- Remove trash and debris from parking areas.
- Ensure there is no standing water on the property that could attract mosquitoes.
- Inspect roofing, exterior doors and windows, and parking areas for potential problems and maintenance needs.
- Trim back large bushes and tree limbs on your property ahead of wet summer weather.
- Do a quick inspection of fencing and entrance gates.
- Schedule periodic maintenance of HVAC and ductwork regularly during this season of heavy usage.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia is ready to help you with all your cleaning and maintenance projects, both large and small.
Need periodic inspections, or cleanup assistance after water or fire damage? Call us at (601) 823-1100
Hotel & Apartment Water Damage
Don't Let Water Damage Interrupt Your Business- Call SERVPRO!
No one wants to sleep somewhere where there is water damage!
Business owners, we understand how important it is to have your water damage restored to preloss conditions.
When water damage happens, it usually involves plumbing leaks, malfunctioning fixtures, or storm damage that allowed water to enter unprotected areas. These incidences often require professional assistance to help recover fast.
Trust SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia
We want our business owners to find comfort in knowing that someone trustworthy is available to provide services needed to restore their businesses or keep them from foregoing any interruptions due to water damage.
Our SERVPRO technicians not only respond to your service request but also provide you with rapid response times, and a unique solution to your problem. With several years of experience in the restoration industry and quality equipment at our disposal, we have the ability to handle water damage incidents affecting a single unit, or your entire building.
It is important you provide us with detailed information during your initial call. This helps us determine the amount of equipment and personnel needed to address your situation properly. Once we arrive on your property, we work immediately to solve your problem by addressing any possible hazards and fully inspect the affected area for damages.
What SERVPRO Can Do?
We have the equipment that is needed for water restoration! Our technicians use a variety of equipment to locate hidden moisture pockets, in walls, attics, and crawl spaces. Though water isn’t always visible to us, it cannot hide from a quality infrared moisture detection device. We are able to dry hard to read or hidden areas throughout your building and prevent secondary water damage from developing.
We have equipment that not only detects moister but also removes any water on any surface. SERVPRO has access to both hand-held and truck mounted water extraction equipment, each with three main elements, a heater, pump, and vacuum system. Portable extractors hold anywhere from five to twelve gallons of water, while the truck mounted version handles up to 100 gallons of water or more. Our equipment makes it easy to remove excess water from various types of flooring, including carpeting and other upholstery items, such as rugs, and curtains.
After removing the excess water, SERVPRO technicians begin the drying process. During this process, we place the proper amount of air moving equipment and dehumidifiers into the affected area. We also use detection devices to double check the vicinity for moisture and monitor relative humidity to ensure a proper drying environment exists to complete the water damage restoration and limit any interruptions to your businesses daily operations.
We Are Sensitive To Your Water Damage
Every water damage is different in its own way. Our technicians are not only trained to use SERVPRO's advanced equipment, but they are also knowledgeable on how to strategize and approach each water damage. We are honest to our customers and try to inform you on how to better prevent previous incidents. Leave your faith in the hands of our professional staff at SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia.