Water Damage To-Do's
Stay calm - Stay patient!
What To Do Until SERVPRO Arrives
If you have a water damage from a clean source such as water supply lines, sink overflows, tub overflows, or appliance malfunctions, here are some things to do before SERVPRO arrives:
Shut off the source of the water.
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if the access panel is safe from electrical shock.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
Business Contamination Cleanup
Our professions have the equipment and experience for cleaning contaminated content!
Business Biohazard Restoration
Removal of biohazardous substances and disposal of them properly takes professional hands that are trained to do a safe cleanup and restoration.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia professionals are equipped with the safety equipment and cleaning products needed to get your business back into clean, safe condition. Our technicians are specialized, trained and experienced in biohazard restoration, which is important when choosing a cleanup company to resolve these circumstances.
Biohazards contamination can be dangerous and emotional for all involved.
What Does Biohazard Cleanup & Restoration Mean?
These services include:
- Crime scene residues
- Suicide/death accidents
- Homicide cleanups
- Blood cleanup
- Accident cleanup
- Hoarding scenes
- Animal waste/remains
- Chemical spills
- Tear gas cleanup
- Meth lab cleanup
What to Do?
Stay out of affected areas.
Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage
Other Tips on Contamination:
Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
Don’t use television or other household appliances.
Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia understands that biohazard emergencies don’t always happen during business hours. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Cigarette Smoke Removal
Replace that foul odor with a pleasant aroma by calling SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia!
There is a difference in removing odors and covering them up. SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia technicians are trained with specialty equipment that are very effective in permanently removing odors, like tobacco smoke. SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia can perform an inspection to determine the level of smoke odors, we like to know how long the smoking was going on and what type of smoke it was.
What SERVPRO Does:
Step one—remove the source of what caused the odor. Our technicians would wash the walls, ceilings and all hard surfaces with a counteractant that removes odors over time eliminating the odor.
Usually a duct cleaning is required and depending on how long the smoking was going on, it may be recommended to remove the carpet and padding.
Next step—seal with an alcohol based primer and paint with a high quality paint to help encapsulate any remaining odors.
Finally, we fog with a counteractant that will work its way into every nook and cranny in the structure just like smoke does. The fogging will keep working for a few days as the house is closed up allowing the counteractant to continue to eat away at the odors.
What Does it Look Like?
Cigarette smoke is a yellowish-brown gluey residue that sticks to every surface in a home, making it difficult and time-consuming to remove. In order to completely eliminate cigarette smoke odor, you must thoroughly clean the tobacco smoke residue from every surface.
Best Way to Remove Tobacco Smoke:
Clean, Clean, Clean!
Open all windows and doors to let as much fresh air in as possible.
Clean or replace the air filters, furnace filters and AC filters.
Clean walls and ceilings using products with ammonia and glycol - two ingredients that neutralize bad odors. Let the walls dry and check if the odor persists.
If you can still sense cigarette odor after cleaning, repaint the walls and ceilings with latex paint. Use a sealant designed to lock in odors before painting.
Clean everything in the home: floors, windows, carpets, furniture, upholstery, draperies, blinds and other household surfaces, fixtures and items. Hire a professional cleaning company if the tobacco smoke is too difficult to remove.
Inexpensive Short-term Solutions Tips:
- Use an air purifier in your home.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the carpets, leave it overnight to absorb bad smells, and vacuum it the next day.
- Place saucers of white vinegar around the home and leave them overnight to neutralize the smell.
- Get indoor plants which can absorb up to 87% of indoor pollutants.
- Place small bowls of coffee throughout the home.
- Use scented or non-scented candles.
- Leave orange peels around the home.
- Place pineapple slices around the room with all doors and windows closed for 24 hours.
- Place bowls of activated charcoal around the home.
Having odor problems? Call your local professionals that can do the job right the first time! SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia (601) 823-1100.
Summer Time Business Upkeep
Let us help you keep your business looking the way it's supposed to!
Keep your business clean! Yes we've all done our spring cleaning, but what about summer time upkeep? Keeping your work environment pleasant and healthy during the summer is a big job. The heat and dust, insects, and workers out on vacation all can cause your workplace to look a bit less professional than it usually does. Here are some tips for you to use to keep your place of business looking great during the summer months:
- Install insect traps in places where they hide. Fly strips are a good idea to use near entrances.
- Dust surfaces daily.
- Clean and disinfect all bathrooms, to include: mirror, countertop, sinks, and both the inside AND outside of toilets.
- Clean and disinfect doors, door handles, and light switches.
- Sweep and mop floors, using a disinfectant liquid. Make sure the mop head gets cleaned and/or replaced regularly.
- Clean cigarette trash from provided receptacles.
- Clean and polish drinking fountain, if you have one.
- Clean and disinfect kitchen area, to include sinks and countertops.
- Clean all glass, especially entrance doors.
- Wipe down and disinfect work desks and machinery such as phones, keyboards, printers, and filing cabinets.
- Sweep and vacuum all offices.
- Dust accessible window sills and baseboards.
- Dust artwork, framed certifications, and news articles, etc.
- Clean out the refrigerator and wash/disinfect microwave.
- Sweep exterior entrances, both front, and back.
- Make sure break areas are clean and presentable.
- Remove trash and debris from parking areas.
- Ensure there is no standing water on the property that could attract mosquitoes.
- Inspect roofing, exterior doors and windows, and parking areas for potential problems and maintenance needs.
- Trim back large bushes and tree limbs on your property ahead of wet summer weather.
- Do a quick inspection of fencing and entrance gates.
- Schedule periodic maintenance of HVAC and ductwork regularly during this season of heavy usage.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia is ready to help you with all your cleaning and maintenance projects, both large and small.
Need periodic inspections, or cleanup assistance after water or fire damage? Call us at (601) 823-1100
Why Call A Professional?
Hey Do-It-Yourselfer, Trust the Professionals!
Don’t Do It Yourself
We understand you want to save money, but taking the job upon yourself can cause more damage than it is worth. Don't be a “do-it-yourselfer”.
We had someone call about an extensive water leak in the roof. After they called around different businesses, they then decided to become a “do-it-yourselfer”. After a few hours on "Google" and "YouTube” they thought the job seemed simple enough. They then went to the expense to rent a carpet cleaner and buy a small dehumidifier. Thinking they fixed the problem themselves, they began to smell a musty odor. So they call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia to come deodorize the home, however our technicians wanted to find the location of the smell.
After pulling the baseboards and the corners of the carpet up, we noticed immediately the water and the mold starting. After the initial inspection was done we provided them with a full estimate to fix the damages. They were shocked at how much lower our estimate was from all the others they had received. Within hours we began our work, returning this family’s home to "like new" condition in only two weeks!
Call us straight away to save yourself the time and money! (601) 823-1100
Hotel & Apartment Water Damage
Don't Let Water Damage Interrupt Your Business- Call SERVPRO!
No one wants to sleep somewhere where there is water damage!
Business owners, we understand how important it is to have your water damage restored to preloss conditions.
When water damage happens, it usually involves plumbing leaks, malfunctioning fixtures, or storm damage that allowed water to enter unprotected areas. These incidences often require professional assistance to help recover fast.
Trust SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia
We want our business owners to find comfort in knowing that someone trustworthy is available to provide services needed to restore their businesses or keep them from foregoing any interruptions due to water damage.
Our SERVPRO technicians not only respond to your service request but also provide you with rapid response times, and a unique solution to your problem. With several years of experience in the restoration industry and quality equipment at our disposal, we have the ability to handle water damage incidents affecting a single unit, or your entire building.
It is important you provide us with detailed information during your initial call. This helps us determine the amount of equipment and personnel needed to address your situation properly. Once we arrive on your property, we work immediately to solve your problem by addressing any possible hazards and fully inspect the affected area for damages.
What SERVPRO Can Do?
We have the equipment that is needed for water restoration! Our technicians use a variety of equipment to locate hidden moisture pockets, in walls, attics, and crawl spaces. Though water isn’t always visible to us, it cannot hide from a quality infrared moisture detection device. We are able to dry hard to read or hidden areas throughout your building and prevent secondary water damage from developing.
We have equipment that not only detects moister but also removes any water on any surface. SERVPRO has access to both hand-held and truck mounted water extraction equipment, each with three main elements, a heater, pump, and vacuum system. Portable extractors hold anywhere from five to twelve gallons of water, while the truck mounted version handles up to 100 gallons of water or more. Our equipment makes it easy to remove excess water from various types of flooring, including carpeting and other upholstery items, such as rugs, and curtains.
After removing the excess water, SERVPRO technicians begin the drying process. During this process, we place the proper amount of air moving equipment and dehumidifiers into the affected area. We also use detection devices to double check the vicinity for moisture and monitor relative humidity to ensure a proper drying environment exists to complete the water damage restoration and limit any interruptions to your businesses daily operations.
We Are Sensitive To Your Water Damage
Every water damage is different in its own way. Our technicians are not only trained to use SERVPRO's advanced equipment, but they are also knowledgeable on how to strategize and approach each water damage. We are honest to our customers and try to inform you on how to better prevent previous incidents. Leave your faith in the hands of our professional staff at SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia.
Mold Inspection & Remediation
Get it tested - Let us remediate!
Mold Remediation Vs. Hygienist Inspection
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia does not do inspections but we can give you a quote on the visible substance you can SEE.
The steps listed below illustrate our process for a “typical” mold remediation infestation:
- Emergency Contact- (601) 823-1100
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
In some cases, our mold jobs need to be referred to an industrial hygienist. What exactly is that and what do they do?
"Industrial Hygiene is a science and art devoted to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, prevention, and control of those environmental factors or stresses arising in or from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well being, or significant discomfort among workers or among citizens of the community." -according to www.aiha.org
They describe Industrial hygienists as "scientists and engineers committed to protecting the health and safety of people in the workplace and the community."
Need mold remediation? SERVPRO has you taken care of! Call today.
Thunderstorm Fun Facts
Thunderstorm Facts & Myths!
Thunderstorms are defined as storms that produce thunder and lightning. Severe thunderstorms may also produce:
- High winds
- Sleet or snow
It’s important to note that thunderstorms do not always produce moisture. A storm in which you see lightning and hear thunder but never feel a drop of water is known as a “dry” thunderstorm. Thunderstorms that produce hail and tornadoes are known as “supercell” storms. Storms occur either in clusters or lines; therefore, they may present as a single thunderstorm or as multiple thunderstorms hitting one after the other.
Thunderstorms are caused when moisture from the lower or mid-level part of the atmosphere mixes with warm, unstable air from the ground. Moisture and air then push upwards into the higher atmosphere to form clouds that produce thunder and lightning, as well as potential precipitation. Spring, summer and fall are most conducive to thunderstorms because the sun heats the ground and moisture is more perceptible in the air, especially in humid climates.
Thunderstorms must also be lifted to begin their formation. Some sources of lift include:
More heat on the ground than in the air
Changes in atmospheric conditions near mountains
Weather front changes caused by clashing cold and hot air
Drylines, or when moist and dry air clash
Land or sea breezes
Any of these situations can immediately create a thunderstorm without warning, even in the middle of a clear blue day. In many cases, these storms will also be accompanied by lightning. Most will not come with hail or tornadoes, unless they occur in tornado-prone states such as Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia is always here to give you the facts!
Flash Flooding Tips
When you experience unwanted water, SERVPRO has your back! (601) 823-1100
FLASH FLOODING CAN HAPPEN WITHIN A FEW HOURS OR EVEN MINUTES
BEFORE THE FLOOD:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basement with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
DURING THE FLOOD:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances!
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water- even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
AFTER THE FLOOD:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters- water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
Should your home or business be affected by the recent significant rain fall or flooding....Call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia. We are always here to help!
Spring Storm Tips
April showers may bring May showers, but SERVPRO wants to be sure you have the tips to be prepared for the spring storms ahead.
April Showers Bring May Flowers
This is true, but unfortunately showers can also bring severe weather threats such as hail, high winds, tornadoes and lightning. According to the National Weather Service, thunderstorms cause more than $1 billion in property damage each year. Without proper home preparation and maintenance upkeep, the damage could be very costly if severe weather came through. In Mississippi, the weather changes one day to the next. Below are some helpful tips to prevent spring storms from damaging your home.
Spring Storm Tips:
1. Clean the gutters. Cleaning out any leaves or debris that may have accumulated in the gutters will help prevent water damage. Check to make sure the downspout directs water away from the foundation, and add extensions if necessary to keep the water away from your house. It’s also a good plan to install gutter guards. These will protect your gutters from clogging and ensure that water does not accumulate on the roof.
2. Maintain roof maintenance. Replace roof shingles that are cracked or loose. This will help prevent damage from roof leaks.
3. Check the caulking. It is important to check caulking for decay around doors, windows, corner boards, and joints, and re-caulk where needed. Be sure the seals are tight to improve insulation and prevent water damage.
4. Look around the yard. Trim your trees and remove dead or loose branches to prevent them from becoming projectiles during a storm.
5. Prepare your patio before a storm. When a storm is approaching, be sure to move all patio furniture, trash cans and any other loose outside items to your shed or garage – these could become flying projectiles.