Mold Facts You Might Be Unaware Of
Mold Can Begin To Develop Within 24 Hours after Water Damage
Normal drying methods may be the first thought of the customer, but in most cases, are simply not enough to reduce the humidity levels in a home after a major accident of water loss. Mold is able to grow behind cabinets, walls and under flooring very quickly, so the threat has to be handled by professionals who know how to properly dry flooring, walls, and other fixtures on the property.
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture.
- Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
If you think that your home or business may have a mold problem, SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia can assist with having you scheduled for a certified mold inspection, with a follow up service to use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise remediation. (601)823-1100
Be prepared for any type of storm!
Common Types of Damaging Storms in the U.S.
Are You Covered?
Check your insurance policy and make sure you are covered for all the types of storms that affect your areas. Some insurance policies do not cover flooding and earthquakes. Fortunately hail, windstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes are typically covered by most insurances. We recommend that you check your individual policy and have a good understanding of your level of protection, and purchase additional protection if necessary.
Storms Can Cause Damage
- It is common for the average U.S. citizen to have already experienced a severe hailstorm or witnessed the damage hail can cause to homes, automobiles, businesses and other property. Hailstorms can cause great amount of damage to the exterior of your home or property. Common types of damage caused by hail are: roof damage, siding damage, shingle damage, window damage and automobile damage
- Thunderstorms can produce many types of damaging weather such as lightning, hail, tornadoes, straight-line winds, flooding and more. The biggest contributors to damaged property are likely hail and wind, which can cause many types of exterior property damage
- Ice storms produce freezing rain that coats everything in its path with a layer of glaze ice. Generally speaking, if a storm causes accumulation of more than a quarter inch on exposed surfaces, the storm can be classified as an ice storm. This type of accumulation can cause broken tree branches, power outages and other hazardous conditions.
- Lightning storms are a major cause of storm damage in many areas around the country. The National Lightning Safety Institute estimates the cost of lightning damage in the $5 to $6 billion dollar per year range. Lightning that hits trees and the ground is a common cause of wildfires, structure fires, property damage and power outages
- Blizzards are severe winter storms that combine heavy snowfall, with high winds and freezing temperatures. The combination of cold, wind and snow damages homes, businesses and automobiles. Heavy snow can produce dangerous conditions, including roof collapse.
- Floods are typically the result of heavy rain and water that rises faster than storm drains can handle. Flash floods driven by quick, violent bursts of rain can flood homes, basements and businesses, causing serious damage to both interiors and exteriors. Flooding is a very dangerous storm phenomenon that results in numerous deaths and extensive property damage each year.
Don’t let storms sneak up on you. Be prepared!
Emergency Ready Program for Your Business
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia wants to help you stay prepared.
Emergency Ready Program is an immediate plan of action for when your business experiences any damage. As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place.
Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
STEP 1: Visit SERVPRO.com/ready. Register for an account using your email address as your username and choose a password.
STEP 2: Choose your preferred SERVPRO Franchise Representative to contact in the event your home or business experiences water, fire, mold or other type of damage.
STEP 3: Begin creating ERPs for all of your properties.
STEP 4: Download the SERVPRO Ready Plan Application on your iPhone, tablet, Android or Blackberry device from the respective App Store.
STEP 5: Launch the Ready Plan App and sign in using the same username and password from STEP 1.
At this point, it may take a few minutes for the data to sync. All of your ERP information will appear on your tablet or mobile device. You can now access and manage ERP information from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia and our representative will help answer any ERP questions you may have!
Awareness of Business Damage
We want our business owners to be aware of the possible damages that can happen.
Damage? To My Business? No way!
We don’t want your business to have any type of damage, but the reality of it is that any damage that can affect a residential property can also affect your commercial building. It is a topic no one likes to think about, but is necessary to be knowledge of.
So What Can Happen?
Storm: Damage caused by strong winds and heavy rain which can remove roof tiles, break windows and more. Storm damages can be very devastating and can cause your business to be put on hold until it’s restored.
Water: This damage can be caused by burst pipes, floods, rain or a number of other things. In any case, this can then result in contaminated water affecting surfaces and furniture, in mold growing and in items being eroded. Electricity and water damage are particularly volatile when combined.
Fire: This type damage can come from a gas stove, faulty outlet or a cigarette that isn’t properly put out. In any case, this can then cause severe destruction to your property which requires cleaning and restoration services.
Mold: This is highly unhygienic as well as being unappealing to look at. Mold spreads quickly around properties as air-borne spores and remediation is very important to prevent it from getting out of hand. Mold grows in any kind of moist environment. Even that small leak under your office’s bathroom sink can eventually cause mold growth.
Don’t remain unaware of what can happen to your commercial building. If you have any uncertainties of a problem you may be having, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia. (601)823-1100
Signs of Mold
Mold can be a scary thing, especially for homeowners. Mold can make a home hard to sell, and also can be a health hazard to you and your family. SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia wants you to know the three warning signs of this insidious fungus that you don't want to ignore:
1. Water spots
Any wet spot in your home can be a potential sign of fungus growth. This can include water spots on your ceilings or walls, or on floors in your basement or crawlspace. If you find evidence of water spots, you need to find the potential moisture source. Calling a highly-recommended remediation company like SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia is the best option for taking care of the moisture in your home.
If you find a spot on a wall or floor that's discolored, it is a potential sign of mold. Discoloration that is green or black is a definite warning sign of fungus growth. However, any discoloration can mean growth is present, even if it isn't of the tell-tale colors.
3. Odd Odor
If you have fungus growth in your home, it can cause a foul odor. Depending on the type of growth and how much of it you have, you could have a very strong smell or one that is faint. It can smell musty or earthy, or it can produce a smell that is more pungent. Any unusual smell needs to be investigated.
Mold is not something to be ignored, because it is not a problem that will resolve itself. If you experience any of these warning signs, call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia to investigate.
What To Do Next
Hurricanes can cause extensive damage to your home or business. When the initial shock of the storm begins to fade, it’s hard to meet with reality on what to do next. How do I rebuild? Where do I go from here? These are questions every homeowner faces after dealing with a major storm damage.
American Red Cross has some tips to help in that process.
- Secure double entry doors at the top and the bottom.
- Strengthen existing garage doors to improve the wind resistance, particularly double- wide garage doors.
- Protect windows with permanent storm shutters or one-half inch marine plywood that is pre-cut to fit your doors and windows.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts to prevent flooding and unnecessary pressure on the awnings.
- Select trees that are not as subject to uprooting to replace damaged ones. A gardening or landscaping professional can give you excellent advice.
- Identify a place to store lawn furniture, toys, gardening tools and trash cans that is away from stairs and exits to prevent them from being moved by high winds and becoming missiles.
Ask a Pro to:
- Ensure roof sheathing is properly installed.
- Ensure end gables are securely fastened to the rest of the roof.
- Fasten the roof to the walls with hurricane straps.
- Elevate your home if it is near the coast and subject to flooding from storm surge.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia has not only the equipment to restore your home, but the professional hands to go along with it. Call today! (601) 823-1100
Storm Aftermath Tips
Storms don't have to ruin everything! We have you covered.
Storms are out of our control and that is a very scary fact. Everyone’s first response is to protect themselves and their family during a severe storm. But when the chaos is over, who is going to save your home from the damage it took? SERVPRO is always ready for any disaster, whether it be from a hail storm or a hurricane.
Do Not Get Overwhelmed!
Here’s What You Can Do:
- Take pictures. You want as much documentation as possible for your insurance company and adjusters.
- Extract any standing water. Call a professional water mitigation company (like SERVPRO) to handle this.
- Keep air circulating!
- Clean with a good disinfectant.
- Remove any wet drywall.
- Remove any downed trees.
- Assess roofing for any damage.
- Check for leaks.
- Replace any broken windows.
You do not have to do this alone! That is what we are here for. Don’t get yourself worked up. We are your simple solution. And as always, we are here to help 24/7. Give us a call with all your emergency restoration needs! (601)823-1100
Unexpected Mold Damage
Faster to any size disaster.
Surprise Mold Damage
A home owner moved out a few weeks ago, and as she took a look around the house, she noticed a musty odor throughout the property. She also noticed some visible growth on the back of the kitchen wall. In a panic, the tenants called us after she saw the damage to her rental property. What she did not know is just how serious this microbial growth or mold has escalated. She was unaware that it has been growing behind the cabinets. When our professional technicians came in, we were able to discover that there was a leak in the supply line to the sink which caused the mold.
We contained the affected area to prevent cross contamination into unaffected areas of the home. Then, we began with our mold remediation process. All affected drywall and cabinets were discarded. The remaining wood framing was sanded and the entire area was detail cleaned with HEPA Vacuums and the room was placed under negative air to capture the mold and mold spores to return home to favorable air quality and begin reconstruction.
As long-time professionals in the Mold Removal & Mold Remediation business, we would like to be your #1 resource for all your mold concerns and services. We are always willing to help answer questions over the phone as well! (601) 823-1100
Importance of Commercial Damage
Let us help prevent your business from closing!
Damage Commercial Property
Lincoln, Lawrence, Pike, Walthall or Marion Counties have the advantage of calling SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia and receiving a quick response.
When there is damage to your property, we do not recommend you to leave it unattended as it could potentially cause the damage to worsen. Rainwater can get into your property if you have an exposed roof for instance and this can then cause mold and water damage. Likewise, if you have broken window, this can leave your commercial business vulnerable to theft and vandalism.
Commercial restoration is also urgent matter— for every working day that you are closed due to damage, you will be losing money. That is a major inconvenience that SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia wants to save you from if at all possible. Commercial businesses pay a lot of overheads such as salaries, rent, bills and more on the good faith that they will be able to earn their expenses back. Unfortunately, when commercial damage strikes, these companies are left unable to make their money back and unable to make a profit. Thus, they lose money until they are able to reopen their doors. SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, is able to work quickly even more valuable to these organizations in their time of need.
No Job is Too Large or Too Small
Our technicians are IICRC-certified! We are able to restore any job, small or large.
No one ever wants to have a large commercial or small business water loss, but what would you do if you did? How could you possibly clean up all the water without causing other damages to your property? SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia has the equipment, and technicians with the expertise to get the job done right every time. We want your business back open as soon as possible.
No Job is Too Large or Too Small
Our professional SERVPRO team can get on the scene with vans full of dehumidifiers and air movers ready to begin the water restoration process.
We take pride in providing our employees with the best tools, training, equipment, and vehicles to get the problem solved with minimal stress and impact on our customers. We know it is never anticipated when a water emergency occurs, but when you call in our SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, you can count on us to get things clean and dry even when it seems impossible!
If your business is suffering from a water damage, call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia at (601) 823-1100! We are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. We always want to help you and your business.