Hurricane Season Tips
Hurricane Season is Here
Hurricane season starts on June 1st in Mississippi with our main threat being water and wind damage. Hurricanes are one of the most dramatic, damaging and life altering events that can occur in our state.
SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia wants to make sure you are prepare for this storm season.
Here are some tips:
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information. In any emergency, always listen to the instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions. Look for approaching storms.
- Many communities have text or email alerting systems for emergency notifications. To find out what alerts are available in your area, search the Internet with your town, city, or county name and the word “alerts.”
- Know where to go. If you are ordered to evacuate, know the local hurricane evacuation route(s) to take and have a plan for where you can stay. Contact your local emergency management agency for more information.
According to msema.org, prepare a three to five-day disaster kid that should contain:
- Flashlight and battery-powered radio with additional batteries.
- Canned and non-perishable food.
- Bottled water.
- Toiletry items.
- Pet food and pet supplies.
- Medicine and prescription medication.
- Copies of important family papers and documents.