Flash Flooding Tips 2020
FLASH FLOODING CAN HAPPEN WITHIN A FEW HOURS OR EVEN MINUTES
So far this year we have an an abundant amount of rain and lack of sunshine to dry everything up. Jackson, Ms is currently having flooding issues with the rising of Pearl River from all the rain, damaging homes and businesses that are in low-lying areas. Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia, Ms can have the same flooding issues in low-lying areas, whether you're close to a water source or not. Don't wait until it's raining and it doesn't stop and waters start to rise.
BEFORE THE FLOOD:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basement with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
DURING THE FLOOD:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances!
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water- even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
AFTER THE FLOOD:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters- water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
Should your home or business be affected by the recent significant rain fall or flooding....Call SERVPRO of Brookhaven, McComb & Columbia. We are always here to help!